DIBELS Deep CFOL Early Release
Announcing the DIBELS Deep CFOL Early Release
Dynamic Measurement Group is pleased to announce the continued early release of DIBELS Deep CFOL (Comprehension, Fluency, Oral Language) for the 2016-2017 school year.
A primary purpose and intended use of DIBELS Deep CFOL is to assist educators in (a) untangling the many possible reasons why a student may struggle with comprehension, and (b) better targeting interventions to those skill areas that support reading comprehension.
The following domains are included in DIBELS Deep CFOL: story coherence/text structure, listening and reading comprehension, vocabulary and oral language (e.g., formal definitions, morphological awareness, figurative language, syntax), and fluency with expository and narrative texts. These relatively brief diagnostic assessments are cost- and time-efficient, yet comprehensive enough to provide specific information to better target or differentiate instruction for students who are struggling in their reading development. The measures are untimed and designed to be user-friendly and adaptable across instructional settings.
DIBELS Deep is primarily intended for use with students who are performing well below expectations (e.g., well below benchmark on DIBELS Next assessments) or performing below grade level within the elementary grades (e.g., K–6). However, DIBELS Deep also may be used with older students with very low skills.
Requirements for Access to the DIBELS Deep CFOL Early Release Assessment
In order to use the early release version of CFOL, sites must agree to:
Purchase CFOL assessment materials from DMG. Assessment materials are bundled into kits that include everything necessary to administer CFOL. Each CFOL test kit contains:
- Assessor Directions and Student Materials book (a comb-bound flipbook)
- Score sheets: These come in four parts covering various portions of the test.
- Sections A - C (10 copies)
Text Structure/Story Coherence, Listening Comprehension, and Reading Comprehension
- Sections D - F (10 copies)
Syntactic Knowledge/Grammar, Morphological Awareness, and Vocabulary/Word Knowledge
- Section G (10 copies)
- Summary and Analysis Pages (15 copies)
- Assessment Manual (1 copy)
- Have all new assessors complete a training on the administration and scoring of CFOL (see training information below).
- Send us the CFOL participation letter for 2016-2017. A template for the letter will be emailed to you when we send you the CFOL Order Form. Please be sure to put the letter on your school or district letterhead. You can fax the letter to us at (866) 211-1450 or email it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Provide user feedback. Each trained assessor who uses CFOL with at least one student will be sent a link to a brief, electronic survey to complete.
DMG will support the early release version of CFOL by:
- Providing free ongoing consultation and support on CFOL administration, scoring and data interpretation throughout the school year.
Online training for CFOL is available. The cost is $165 per person for a 30-day subscription. A training book containing the slides, activities, and other useful resources is included in the cost of each subscription.
Live webinar and on-site trainings are also available.
If you would like to register for the online training or are interested in our other training options, please email us at email@example.com.
Assessors who have been trained on DIBELS Deep Phonemic Awareness and Word Reading and Decoding (PA & WRD) will still need to complete CFOL training prior to administering CFOL.
DIBELS Deep CFOL assessment materials will be ordered directly from DMG by completing a CFOL Order Form. Schools will need to provide a purchase order or other method of payment with their CFOL order. We accept credit cards and checks.
The cost for ordering test kits depends on the number of kits ordered according to the following scale:
- 10 or more kits: $33 each plus shipping
- 5-9 kits: $48 each plus shipping
- 1-4 kits: $74.50 each plus shipping
How to Begin Using the DIBELS Deep CFOL Early Release Assessment
To receive your CFOL Early Release assessment materials, you will first need to complete
Complete and return a CFOL Order Form.
You can request a copy of the form by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Register new assessors for training.
To register for CFOL Online Training, contact Laura Collins at email@example.com.
You may request training via live webinar or on-site training by e-mailing
us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
After we receive your CFOL Order Form, and confirmation that assessors have been registered for training, your CFOL test kits will be shipped to you.
We look forward to working with you during the 2016-2017 school year.