DIBELS® Deep CFOL Early Release
Announcing the Continued Availability of DIBELS Deep CFOL
Dynamic Measurement Group is pleased to announce the continued early release of DIBELS Deep CFOL (Comprehension, Fluency, Oral Language) for the 2017-2018 school year.
A primary purpose and intended use of DIBELS Deep CFOL is to assist educators in (a) untangling the many possible reasons why a student may struggle with comprehension, and (b) better targeting interventions to those skill areas that support reading comprehension.
The following domains are included in DIBELS Deep CFOL: story coherence/text structure, listening and reading comprehension, vocabulary and oral language (e.g., formal definitions, morphological awareness, figurative language, syntax), and fluency with expository and narrative texts. These relatively brief diagnostic assessments are cost- and time-efficient, yet comprehensive enough to provide specific information to better target or differentiate instruction for students who are struggling in their reading development. The measures are untimed and designed to be user-friendly and adaptable across instructional settings.
DIBELS Deep is primarily intended for use with students who are performing well below expectations (e.g., well below benchmark on DIBELS Next assessments) or performing below grade level within the elementary grades (e.g., K–6). However, DIBELS Deep also may be used with older students with very low skills.
For a printer-friendly overview of DIBELS Deep CFOL, download our DIBELS Deep Fact Sheet.
Requirements for Using DIBELS Deep CFOL
In order to use the early release version of CFOL, sites must agree to:
- Purchase CFOL assessment materials from DMG (see Assessment Materials below).
- Have all new assessors complete training on the administration and scoring of CFOL (see Training Information below).
- Send us a CFOL participation letter for 2017-2018. A template for the letter will be emailed to you when we send you the CFOL Order Form.
- Provide user feedback. Each trained assessor who uses CFOL with at least one student will be sent a link to a brief, anonymous, electronic survey to complete.
DMG will support the implementation and use of CFOL by:
- Providing free ongoing consultation and support on CFOL administration, scoring, and data interpretation throughout the school year.
- Providing access to the CFOL download site, which contains all of the CFOL score sheets, should you need additional copies.
How to Begin Using DIBELS Deep CFOL for 2017-2018
To get started, email us at email@example.com.
After that, we will send you the CFOL Order Form, instructions for registering for the online training, and a template for the letter of participation. We look forward to working with you during the 2017-2018 school year!
Online training for CFOL is available. The cost is $165 per person for a 30-day subscription. A training book containing the slides, activities, and other useful resources is included in the cost of each subscription. A more in-depth DIBELS Deep CFOL Workshop will be available at the DIBELS Super Institute in July of 2017. In addition, live webinar and on-site trainings are also available. Current DIBELS Next Mentors who complete the DIBELS Deep CFOL Workshop will earn an endorsement and receive access to the official DMG training materials, which they can use to train others.
If you would like to register for the online training or are interested in our other training options, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Assessors who have been trained on DIBELS Deep Phonemic Awareness and Word Reading and Decoding (PA & WRD) will still need to complete CFOL training prior to administering CFOL.
DIBELS Deep CFOL assessment materials are ordered directly from DMG by completing a CFOL Order Form. We accept credit cards, purchase orders, and checks. To request an order form, please email us at email@example.com.
The CFOL assessment materials are bundled into kits that include everything necessary to administer CFOL. The cost per CFOL kit is $49.00, not including shipping and handling.
Each CFOL test kit contains:
- Assessment Manual (1 copy)
- Assessor Directions and Student Materials book (a comb-bound flipbook)
- Score sheets: These come in four parts covering various portions of the test,
including the following:
- Sections A - C (10 copies)
Text Structure/Story Coherence, Listening Comprehension, and Reading Comprehension
- Sections D - F (10 copies)
Syntactic Knowledge/Grammar, Morphological Awareness, and Vocabulary/Word Knowledge
- Section G (10 copies)
- Summary and Analysis Pages (15 copies)